Friday, December 17, 2010

Calcium Waste Glitter and Falling Like Icicles

A gigantic smile and hello to anyone that reads this blog. Today I've decided to recuperate because that's what I do and that's what I'm good at. I've changed my schedule to Monday through Thursday, working 1pm to 8pm. It's kind of sucky but super-awesome at the same time because now I have a solid three-day weekend leaving more time to travel. The thing that sucks is sitting in a call centre for seven hours.

Anyway, I have been in the States for over a hundred days now. More than three months, I've been here. I can't even believe it, to be honest with you. It has gone so damn fast. In fact, it's flying by so rapidly that every night before I go to sleep, I sit in bed and dread the day I have to leave this beautiful city. I knew it was going to fast but I didn't think it'd just fly by. I won't miss taking forever to get ready because I have to put a million layers on. But I'm going to miss this place, for real.

As you can see from the previous blog post, I went to Cleveland. That was fun. Everyone questioned the reasons behind why I wanted to go to Cleveland and in the beginning, I didn't even know myself. All I knew is that bus tickets were nice and cheap and that it would be cool to go there because that's where Bone Thugs are from.
After a six hour bus ride, we arrived in Cleveland with our backpacks at some ridiculous hour like 7am. We stayed with a rad dude, Beckett and slept on a mattress that had "AIDS" written on it. Good times. Beckett had cats so I was happy. He also cooked a mean breakfast.
We stayed in Cleveland for two days and in that time frame we went to three very different shows - an indie-ish show in a little house, a punk show in an amazingly grimy bar called Now That's Class and a noise show in an awkwardly large house. Not only that but we met a great couple who were just like "Okay, get in our car. We'll take you wherever you wanna go in Cleveland" which was so sweet of them because they could have been doing more exciting things than driving our lame arses around. We also visited East 99/St Clair (Bone Thugs reference) and I totally made my brother jealous when I sent him the photo.
Needless to say, I had a fan-fucking-tastic time.

I also went to Madison again. The great Kaitlin Foley drove down to Chicago to drop her sister off so I hopped into her CRV after our lunch date and we drove to Mad-town. Of course, we found our friends Kat and Britny after they had a long, rough day curating a photoshoot and ended up drinking with them until five or so in the morning, swapping stories and having one of the most important nights ever.
I slept that night/morning in Kaitlins upstairs room that her mum had tidied up for me. It was really wonderful and cute. Kait and I ended up getting breakfast somewhere because her parents forgot that I'm vegan and made a shitload of bacon which was hilarious. We then drove back down to Chicago where the good soul dropped me home. I really need to start spending longer periods of time in places. But I guess that's where my new schedule comes in handy.

This Sunday I'm going to Milwaukee. Next weekend is Christmas and I might be going to Madison for it if there's nothing going down in Chicago. The weekend after that is New Years and I have absolutely no plans for it just yet. The weekend after that I'm going to Indianapolis/West Lafayette, Indiana for three days to visit my friend Kaveh. And then Daniela from Oakland, California is coming to Chicago so that's gonna be stacks of fun. The weekend after that I'm going to Detroit, Michigan where I don't know anyone so I'm hoping I'll figure it out. And then hopefully Minneapolis or New York City or something... Anything!

Also, I think I've found myself a room in Wicker Park and if everything works out, I'll be moving in December 27th. Keep your phalanges crossed for me!

There is still so much to see and do so I better get off the internet. I don't know if anyone even reads this!

Happy Holidays!

-S

1 comment: