Thursday, March 17, 2011

This My Excavation

My patience is being tested every day. I'm currently living in Jakarta, Indonesia with a pregnant older sister who has a three-year-old hyperactive daughter, my hot-head of a mother and a little sister who doesn't know how to stop moving or speak at a conversational volume. On top of that, we get stuck in insane traffic jams every day after spending the day carrying my sisters shopping and telling my niece to "Sit down". But it's all okay because I'm not going to take this trip for granted. That was a mistake I made when I was living in Chicago and I've learned that being an ungrateful, selfish bitch isn't going to make me or anyone else around me happier.

I smoke a different type of clove cigarette every day, I eat tempe and tahu bacem every afternoon, my ma's rich friends give me bottles of red wine, shisha is five bucks and I get to chill with my crazy arse fam. What the fuck do I have to complain about? Seriously? When I go back to Australia, I know I'm going to miss this.

Tomorrow, I fly out to Singapore and on Tuesday I catch a bus from there to Malaysia where I'll get to see one of my best friends who I haven't seen in over six months. I love knowing I don't have to stay in one place. I love knowing I have nothing to be attached to. And that's quite possibly selfish in itself but all I want is to be observant and understand the importance of embracing my surroundings.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment